NewsTechnology

Here’s a look at the new PeaceHealth bike-share bicycles set to launch on campus next term

Eugene Mayor Lucy Vinis announced Wednesday that PeaceHealth Oregon will be the title sponsor of a city bike share program at a press event at the Hilyard Community Center.

PeaceHealth Oregon CEO Rand O’Leary joined the mayor on stage to unveil the blue bikes with the hospital’s white dove logo adorning the frame.

The 300 bikes and 35 stations are expected to be open for riders in spring term across the University of Oregon campus, downtown Eugene and the Whiteaker neighborhood. There is no set date yet.

ASUO contributed nearly $200,000 dollars toward this project, with another $900,000 of the $1.3 million coming in grants from the Oregon Department of Transportation.

The bike share company the city chose is called Social Bikes, the same company operating the orange bikes of the Biketown project in Portland.

The project was originally intended to be confined to the UO in 2012 but was not approved by Campus Risk Management, according to UO Bike Program Coordinator Kelsey Moore.

In 2015 the city received enough interest from the community, along with the ODOT grant, to pick the project up again and include more of Eugene.  

Students can receive 15 minutes of free ride time each day using the bike share system this spring term, after which they will pay $1 for every 15 minutes using the bike. If students buy a $5 monthly pass, they receive an hour of free ride time per day.

Would you like to increase opportunities for women and people of color in journalism? Now is your chance to support the Emerald’s program by helping us send reporter Ryan Nguyen and Emily Goodykoontz to the annual Investigative Reporters and Editors conference this June!

Becca Robbins

Becca Robbins

Becca Robbins is a News Reporter. She is a junior majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing. She loves to read and watch sports.