SportsWomen's Basketball

Ducks remain No. 7 ranking in AP Poll

For the second consecutive week, Oregon’s women’s basketball team was ranked No. 7 in the AP Poll despite the team’s first Pac-12 loss of the season on Friday at Oregon State. The Ducks won the return game on Sunday to break the Beavers’ 14-game win streak.

Oregon (18-3, Pac-12 7-1) represents the Pac-12 as the conference’s only team in the top 12. Other Pac-12 teams in the top-25 include UCLA (13), Oregon State (17), California (23) and Arizona State (25).

The Ducks, who are on a 13-game home win streak will take a road trip to play Colorado and Utah. The team will play Colorado in Boulder on Friday night and Utah on Sunday morning in Salt Lake City.

With senior Lexi Bando out indefinitely with a leg injury, the Ducks have relied on a variety of players to step up. In Bando’s absence, Mallory McGwire and Satou Sabally have stepped up. McGwire scored 14 points, along with six rebounds, while Sabally posted 21 points and five rebounds in Sunday’s victory.

A month remains in Pac-12 play, as the Ducks look to continue their dominance on the court in hopes of a high-seeded placement for the NCAA Tournament in early March. Last season, Oregon advanced to the Elite Eight as a No. 10 seed.

Follow Maggie Vanoni on Twitter @maggie_vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald covering football, volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis, track and field and softball. She is a lover of adventures, the Oregon Coast, writing and Ben and Jerry's. Follow her on Twitter at @maggie_vanoni and reach her at [email protected]