FootballSports

Report: Cort Dennison to be Oregon’s outside linebacker coach

Oregon is set to hire former Washington linebacker Cort Dennison to coach the outside linebackers, according to Cardinal Authority.

Dennison, who was Louisville’s linebacker coach and recruiting coordinator, was a linebacker for Washington from 2007-11, redshirting his 2007 season. He started at Louisville in 2014 as a defensive graduate assistant before becoming an inside linebacker coach.

Prior to his time at Louisville, Dennison worked at Western Kentucky. While Dennison was Louisville’s inside linebackers coach, the Cardinals went 17-9 over the course of the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

The Ducks, now under the helm of Mario Cristobal, have been adding coaches to the staff following the exit of Willie Taggart to Florida State. Taggart’s exit saw several former Oregon assistant coaches follow Taggart to Tallahassee.

Dennison is the eighth coach on Oregon’s staff, and he is also the youngest.

Last season, defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt coached the inside linebackers while Raymond Woodie coached the outside linebackers. Woodie is one of the coaches who followed Taggart to Florida State.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.