SportsVolleyball

No. 16 Oregon falls to No. 2 Stanford in three-set sweep

No. 16 Oregon (15-7, 8-6 Pac-12) lost in a three-set sweep for the second time this season against defending national champions No. 2 Stanford (20-2, 13-0) Sunday at the Maples Pavilion in Stanford, Calif.

The Cardinal beat the Ducks, 25-14, 25-18 and 25-14 to remain unbeaten in conference play. Stanford has now won 16 straight games, including nine sweeps.

Taylor Agost led the Ducks throughout the match. She finished with 13 kills, nine more than Lauren Page and Jolie Rasmussen who finished with four each, the second-most on the team.

Stanford opened the match’s final set with four straight points. The Ducks got as close as two points but couldn’t gain enough momentum, as Stanford closed the match with the set victory of 25-14.

Stanford also won the first set 25-14, hitting 61.9 percent and keeping Oregon down to 16 percent. Agost and Page led the Ducks with three kills each.

Stanford put the pressure on Oregon early in the second set two, gaining the first points without a response from Oregon. With a brief tie at 4-4, the Cardinal took hold of the lead and with an 8-2 run to build a lead as large as seven. Stanford won the set, 25-18. Agost remained on top for the Ducks, hitting 55.6 percent with seven kills.

Oregon will travel to Arizona this upcoming weekend as they take on Arizona State on Friday at 5 p.m. and Arizona on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Follow Maggie Vanoni on Twitter @maggie_vanoni 

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie Vanoni

Maggie is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald covering football, volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis, track and field and softball. She is a lover of adventures, the Oregon Coast, writing and Ben and Jerry's. Follow her on Twitter at @maggie_vanoni and reach her at [email protected]