SportsWomen's Basketball

Oregon women’s basketball picked second in Pac-12 preseason coaches poll

After a run to the Elite Eight in 2017 NCAA Tournament, Oregon women’s basketball was picked to finish second with Stanford in the Pac-12 preseason coaches poll. The Ducks and Cardinal both received 108 points and three first-place votes each while UCLA topped the poll with seven first-place votes.

This is the Ducks’ second time being picked to finish second in the preseason poll — the last time being in 2000-01 season. Last year the Ducks were picked to finish seventh in the same poll, but finished the season sixth with a 23-14 record and a 8-10 record in Pac-12 play.

The Ducks will be led by senior Lexi Bando and sophomores Sabrina Ionescu and Ruthy Hebard, who both were on the all-Pac-12 team last season. Hebard’s four triple-doubles also earned her national freshman of the year awards from ESPNW and USBWA.

Oregon returns all of its starters and added some high-profile freshmen, including German international Satou Sabally and Spanish native Aina Ayuso.

The Ducks play their first game of the season against Westmont on Nov. 5 at Matthew Knight Arena before playing in the preseason WNIT tournament a week later.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.