News

‘White Pride’ chalk graffiti spotted on campus

Monday morning, three students found and tried to erase white nationalist graffiti, reading “white pride,” written in chalk between the Knight Library and Gerlinger Hall. The graffiti was later removed by university groundskeepers.

It was spotted, reported and removed by the grounds folks,” said UO spokesperson Tobin Klinger. “This is a pretty standard practice when dealing with any kind of hate speech graffiti.”

According to a tip received by the Daily Emerald, the Bias Education and Response Team (BERT) received notice of the graffiti.

The purpose of BERT, a subset of the Dean of Students office, is “to respond to situations that affect the larger University of Oregon community through education about current and historical issues surrounding bias.”

The Emerald could not reach BERT for a comment.

This act is just the latest incident of racist graffiti in Eugene. On Sept. 15, anti-semitic graffiti was discovered at North Eugene High School. Police are currently looking into the incident.

Michael Tobin

Michael Tobin

Michael is one of the Emerald's associate news editors. In his free time, he enjoys rock climbing and going to house shows. Drop him a tip via email at [email protected]