Quick HitsSports

Quick Hits: New football coaches utilize social media, women’s soccer season begins

Oregon Volleyball gets ready to start the 2017 season with new head coach Matt Ulmer taking over the program for Jim Moore who resigned in the offseason amid allegations of mistreatment and mental abuse. The team was picked to finish third in the Pac-12 this year.

New Oregon football coach Willie Taggart had his coaches wear blue mechanic shirts to start fall practice this year. He is trying to instill a new identity into the Oregon football program.

Oregon women’s soccer kicked its season off over the weekend. They lost the opening game, but bounced back Sunday for their first win of the season.

The new football coaching staff has completely embraced the art of social media and the positive impact it has on recruiting. The Ducks currently have a top five recruiting class.

Oregon football is expected to see a lot of new faces this year. When Taggart arrived on campus, he said the incoming players would have a chance to take jobs from the returning players. With less than two weeks to go until the first game, that appears to be the case.

Junior linebacker Kaulana Apelu was awarded a scholarship during Sunday’s open practice at Autzen Stadium. Here is the video:

Follow Zak Laster on Twitter @zlast3445

Zak Laster

Zak Laster

Zak Laster is a sports writer for the Daily Emerald. He covers volleyball, women's basketball, golf and baseball. He can be reached at [email protected]