Cross CountryOlympicsSportsTrack & Field

IAAF World Championships: Phyllis Francis wins gold in 400, Deajah Stevens in 200 semifinal

Former Oregon track and field athlete Phyllis Francis took the gold medal in the women’s 400-meters at the IAAF World Athletics Championships in London, defeating 2016 Olympic gold medalist Shaunae Miller-Uibo and defending 400 world champion Allyson Felix.

Despite the pouring England rain, Francis won the race in a personal best 49.92 seconds ahead of Bahrain’s Salwa Eid Naser, who ran the race in 50.06. Felix finished third and Miller-Uibo came fourth after pulling up on the final stretch.

Francis was not the only Duck competing on Wednesday.

Recent grad Kyree King finished fifth in his 200-meter semifinal heat while Eric Jenkins came 10th in his 5,000-meter race. Both runner failed to qualify for their respective finals.

On Tuesday, Deajah Stevens, who elected to forgo her final year of eligibility at Oregon, won her 200 heat and will race again on Thursday in the semifinal.

Former Duck and 2016 Olympic gold medalist Matt Centrowitz and Johnny Gregorek will race in the 1,500-meter heats on Thursday.

Annie Leblanc also races in the 800-meter heats while Cyrus Hostetler competes in the qualification round for the javelin.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.