Small fire in Craft Center sets off alarm in EMU
A fire alarm, caused a by a small fire in the Craft Center, went off at the EMU on Wednesday evening around 7:25 p.m. The building was evacuated.
The fire was accidental and was quickly extinguished. There was not a lot of damage and no one was injured, said UOPD officer Adam Lillengreen. Police said they suspect the fire might have been caused by a small rag catching on fire.
“I would just like to remind people that if there is a fire alarm to just make to get out the building safely orderly and don’t re-enter until the fire department or police department gives the all clear,” he said.
Sara Hashiguchi, who was working in the glass blowing center near the fire, said she saw flames near the floor and the room fill with smoke. Hashiguchi said that the fire didn’t appear to start spontaneously.
Students were allowed to re-enter the building at around 7:50 p.m. when the fire alarm stopped.
While they were waiting, many students stayed close to the building and calmly kept reading, studying and talking.
Jonathan Herrera said he was inside studying when the alarm went off. He moved to a table right next to the building and continued to study, not worried about the alarm because he had a lot of homework.
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.