SportsWomen's Basketball

Former Oregon forward Lauren Yearwood transferring to Santa Clara

Former Oregon Ducks forward Lauren Yearwood will enroll at Santa Clara, she shared on social media Tuesday night.

Yearwood asked for — and was granted — her release in April. The sophomore must sit out one year per NCAA rules before she’s eligible to play in 2017-18 as a junior.

Yearwood, who represented Canada in U15, U16, U17 and U19 action before enrolling at Oregon, will see a familiar face when she gets to the Bay Area. Former Oregon graduate assistant Taelor Karr is a member of the Broncos’ coaching staff.

In addition, Mallory McGwire’s sister, Morgan, will be a senior for the Broncos next season. Santa Clara, which plays in the West Coast Conference, went 14-16 last season under first-year head coach Bill Carr.

“We love her to death,” Graves said in April. “I know her teammates are happy for her in a chance for a new opportunity. … All she had to do was ask for it [the release]. We had no issue and there’s no restrictions.”

Yearwood’s announcement came on the same day Notre Dame transfer Erin Boley announced she will enroll at Oregon. Boley was ranked the No. 5 overall recruit in the 2016 class by espnW.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan was an associate sports editor during the 2016-17 school year and worked at the Emerald from 2013-17. He covered women's basketball and football.