News

UO President Schill hints at further job cuts after HECC denied UO’s proposed 10.6 percent tuition increase

UO spokesman Tobin Klinger told the Emerald today that 54 non-tenure track faculty positions have been cut for the upcoming school year.

That number may increase, according to President Schill’s letter to the UO community Friday.

In the letter, he stated that the UO “will be forced to make even deeper cuts … than are already anticipated, including cuts that will likely affect student support services, academic programs, and jobs,” if the Higher Education Coordinating Commission’s decision stands.

The HECC voted Thursday to deny the 10.6 in-state tuition increase.

Schill also stated in the letter that he would like the HECC to reconsider its vote.

UO will now be forced to reassess its options. It has the option to adjust the tuition increase number and resubmit it to the HECC. Another option is to set the tuition increase to 5 percent, which would not require voting from the HECC and be automatically implemented. UO could also lobby Oregon lawmakers to change the requirements for raising the tuition above 5 percent without HECC approval.

Will Campbell

Will Campbell

I'm the Senior News Editor at the Emerald. I was born and raised in Vancouver, WA.