SoftballSports

Miranda Elish’s one-hitter leads Ducks past Stanford 8-0

Miranda Elish threw a one-hitter as Oregon softball took the second game of a three-game series against Stanford in Palo Alto. The Ducks won in just five innings, taking a 2-0 series lead ahead of the final game on Saturday.

The 8-0 win helps the Ducks’ chances of hosting a regional or super regional come the NCAA tournament, whose selection show is Sunday.

Oregon knocked in three runs in the first inning on a two-RBI single from freshman center fielder Shannon Rhodes and an RBI single from freshman Mia Camuso. The Ducks scored on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly before putting up a three-run fifth inning to become run-rule eligible. Rhodes earned another RBI, and an error on Elish’s fielder’s choice led to two unearned runs scored.

With an 8-0 lead heading into the bottom of the fifth, Elish retired the side to close out the game and give the Ducks the win.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.