GolfSports

Oregon finishes third in Lubbock Regional to advance to NCAA Championships

Oregon women’s golf shot a 4-under 284 in the final round of the Lubbock NCAA Regional Tournament on Wednesday to finish third and advance to the NCAA Championships for the second straight year.

The team’s third place finish is the best in program history.

Following her career-best round on Tuesday where she shot a 5-under 67, senior Marcella Pranovia finished the tournament tied for ninth overall with a 1-under 215. Fellow senior Cathleen Santoso finished one shot behind Pranovia and placed 12th.

Oregon saved its best for last as its score of 284 was the lowest of the tournament. The Ducks needed to finish sixth or better to advance to the NCAA Championships but were in good shape heading into the final round. They held a nine-stroke cushion entering Wednesday.

The Ducks shot 1-over 294 and finished in second place in the first round. They dropped a spot to third place following their second round 1-over 289 performance.

Two Pac-12 teams — Oregon and Arizona State — advanced out of the Lubbock Regional. No. 6 UCLA missed the cut by finishing eighth.

Overall, five Pac-12 teams will represent the conference in the NCAA Championships, which begin on Friday, May 19, in Sugar Grove, Illinois.

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter @JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.