SoftballSports

Oregon’s Maggie Balint and Jenna Lilley sweep Pac-12 weekly honors

Oregon softball swept No. 2 Florida State over the weekend and now the Ducks have swept the Pac-12 weekly awards for freshman of the week, pitcher of the week and player of the week.

Freshman pitcher Maggie Balint won the freshman and pitcher awards while third baseman Jenna Lilley took player of the week.

Oregon Ducks pitcher Maggie Balint (25) watches the game from the bullpen. The Oregon Ducks play the Oregon State Beavers at Jane Sanders Stadium in Eugene, Ore., on April 30, 2017. (Aaron Nelson/Emerald)

Balint pitched lights out in the Ducks’ 3-1 win in game two of the series, throwing a complete game. She allowed just three hits, one run while striking out seven. She then came in relief during the Ducks’ extra inning battle in game three, pitching two full innings where Balint struck out four and allowed no hits and no runs in the 2-1 walk off win.

For Lilley, it was a good weekend at the plate after a season in which she has had some struggles offensively. She went 2-for-2 in game one, 2-for-2 in game two and 1-for-3 in game three, tallying three RBIs in the process.

The series sweep also gave the Ducks a boost in the RPI, moving from seventh to second. Oregon, now ranked No. 3 nationally, rounds out its regular season this weekend at Stanford before the NCAA Tournament selection show on Sunday evening.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.