Arts & CultureEventsMusic

Sasquatch! announces LCD Soundsystem to replace Frank Ocean as headliner three weeks before festival

R&B singer Frank Ocean will not perform at this year’s Sasquatch! music festival due to “production issues beyond his control,” the festival’s website announced Friday morning. Electronic rock group LCD Soundsystem will replace Ocean as the festival’s Friday closing act. 

Ocean, whose long-awaited sophomore album, “Blonde,” hit number 1 on Billboard’s Hot 200 the week it debuted, was scheduled to headline the festival along with Chicago artist Chance the Rapper and alternative rock band Twenty One Pilots. The announcement comes just three weeks before the festival, which will take place over Memorial Day weekend.

Ocean was announced as a headliner in December, months prior to the full lineup release. His Sasquatch! performance would have been his first full-length live performance in over three years. He is still scheduled to perform at Hangout music festival on May 19, the Northside music festival in Aarhus, Denmark on June 9 and the Lovebox festival in London on July 14. 

The announcement drew mixed reactions from ticket holders. Some took to social media to express their frustration with the last-minute lineup change. Many demanded refunds for the tickets they had purchased months in advance via social media.

“The news didn’t come without disappointment,” University of Oregon Sophomore Keenan Siminski told the Emerald. “He was arguably the biggest name in the lineup… Seeing Frank would’ve been great, especially since he’s known for not performing very often.”

Listen to LCD Soundsystem’s newly released “Call The Police” below:

Siminski said he and his friends still plan on attending the festival, despite the lineup change.

While many people seemed to be annoyed by the change, others showed excitement for  LCD Soundsystem’s first performance at the festival since 2010. LCD released two new songs last night and are in the process of making its first new album since 2010’s “This Is Happening.”

Sasquatch event correspondents did not provide further comment on the matter.

Read below to see Twitter reactions to the lineup change:

Follow Zach Price on Twitter: @zach_price24

Zach Price

Zach Price

Zach Price is the Editor in Chief of the Emerald. He likes to write about music and watch Trail Blazer games.

Reach Zach at [email protected]