CrimeNews

Updated: Former Ducks player Colt Lyerla escapes from corrections center

Update 3:38 p.m: Lyerla was apprehended and taken to the hospital after police were called to a private residence to respond to a drug overdose, Hillsboro police say.

******

Colt Lyerla, former Ducks tight end, escaped from custody out of Washington County Corrections Center yesterday, according to The Oregonian/OregonLive. Lyerla triggered an alarm at 4:55 p.m. and escaped out of a window in the first floor of the corrections center. Police issued a warrant for his arrest, and are actively searching for Lyerla.

(Washington County Courthouse)

Lyerla was sentenced to six months in jail last month for counterfeiting $50 bills. He was also arrested last month for heroin possession.

After the sentencing, Lyerla told the judge he plans to leave jail as a “better person and a better man,” The Oregonian/OregonLive reported.

Lyerla played for the Ducks for two seasons with head coach Chip Kelly but left the team in 2013 after Mark Helfrich took over. Lyerla has had multiple run-ins with the law for cocaine and heroin use since leaving the team.

Will Campbell

Will Campbell

I'm the Senior News Editor at the Emerald. I was born and raised in Vancouver, WA.