Men's BasketballSports

Brandon McCoy commits to UNLV over Oregon, others

Brandon McCoy will not be an Oregon Duck after announcing his commitment to UNLV on Twitter.

McCoy, a five-star recruit from San Diego, California, had finalists of Oregon, Michigan State, Arizona and of course UNLV.

The 6-foot-11 center could have been an important addition to the Ducks after 6-foot-8 forward Kenny Wooten Jr. committed yesterday. McCoy is the nation’s No. 15-ranked recruit in the 2017 class according to ESPN.

Head coach Dana Altman is filling up vacant positions left by multiple departing Ducks, including big men Jordan Bell and Chris Boucher. Kavell Bigby-Williams asked for — and was granted — a release to transfer but he could opt to return.

McCoy could have offered a similar presence in the paint that was offered by Bell, but the Ducks missed out on the highly-rated recruit, who was a McDonald’s All-American.

The Ducks are reportedly still in the hunt for Elijah Brown, a graduate transfer from New Mexico.

Oregon still has four incoming freshmen: Troy Brown Jr., Wooten Jr., V.J. Bailey and Abu Kigab.

Follow Shawn Medow on Twitter @ShawnMedow

Shawn Medow

Shawn Medow

Shawn is an associate sports editor and reporter for the Emerald covering football, men's basketball, women's basketball, acrobatics and tumbling, track and field/cross-country and softball. He also hosts several podcasts, including a soccer podcast, on the Emerald Podcast Network. You can contact him at [email protected] or on Twitter @ShawnMedow.