SportsWomen's Tennis

Women’s tennis sweeps Eastern Washington with three freshmen hitting the court

The Oregon women’s tennis team beat the Eastern Washington Eagles 7-0, with half of the participating Ducks being freshman, on Saturday at the Student Tennis Center.

Saturday was New Zealand native Janvhi Clark’s first match as a Duck. She contributed to the win by besting the Eagles in her doubles match with partner Daniela Nasser, 6-1, and beating senior Katrina Domingo in her singles match, 4-6, 6-3, 10-8.

Freshman Rifanty Kahfiani, in her third collegiate match, won in her doubles match with partner Nia Rose, 6-4. Kahfiani also beat Eagles senior Carolina Lopez in her singles match, 6-1, 6-0.

Oregon freshman Julia Eshet also shined, beating Eastern Washington 6-0 in her doubles match alongside partner Marlou Kluiving. She downed Eagles junior Rachel Swindell 6-1, 7-6(5).

Eshet has previously talked about the mutual respect that exists between her and Kluiving, and between the upperclassmen and underclassman on the team in general.

“[Kluiving] could very easily just be like ‘Okay, listen to me because I’m a senior,’ ” Eshet said. “But she listens to me, she listens to my ideas, and if I have a play that I want to run on the court, she hears me out. I appreciate that.”

Senior Kluiving, junior Rose, and sophomore Nasser all won their singles matches as well, each in two sets.

The Ducks are now 2-1 on the season and will hit the road to play North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Saturday.

Follow Alexa Chedid on Twitter @alexachedid18

Alexa Chedid

Alexa Chedid

Alexa is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in journalism and cinema studies. She's from southern California and her passions include traveling, writing, and finding great coffee & teahouses.