FootballSports

Report: Oregon to hire Mario Cristobal as co-offensive coordinator and o-line coach

Willie Taggart is one step closer to completing his staff.

Alabama’s Mario Cristobal will be named as Oregon’s co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, according to 247Sports.com. USA TODAY also reported the hiring, though University of Oregon has not confirmed.

ESPN reported that Cristobal will share the offensive coordinator position with former South Florida staffer David Reaves. Reaves’ hiring has also not been made official by the UO.

Cristobal has spent the past three seasons as an offensive line/tight ends coach for Alabama, where he established himself as one of the best recruiters in the country. 247Sports named Cristobal the best recruiter in the country in 2015 for grabbing five star prospects Calvin Ridley, Da’Ron Payne and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Cristobal spent five seasons as the head coach of Florida International University. He left with 27-47 overall record and a 20-26 Sun Belt Conference record.

The hire gives Taggart two assistant coaches with head coaching experience. Jim Leavitt, the new defensive coordinator, was the head coach at South Florida from 1997-2009. Cristobal adds even more experience recruiting in the southeast to an already southern-heavy staff.

Cristobal received praise for his coaching and development of many Alabama offensive lineman including projected first-round picks Cam Robinson and tight end O.J. Howard.

What may have delayed the hiring was the possibility that Cristobal would become the head coach at Western Michigan after P.J. Fleck’s departure.

Follow Jack Butler on Twitter @Butler917 

Jack Butler

Jack Butler

I am the sports editor for the Daily Emerald. I cover football and basketball. Email me at [email protected]