CrimeFootballNewsSports

Austin Maloata dismissed after arrest for DUII, reckless driving and unlawful possession of methamphetamine

UPDATE 11:51 a.m.: Maloata was released from jail at 10:51 a.m. Lane County Jail said it was “capacity-based release.” He is due to appear in court on Nov. 29 at 8:30 a.m.

UPDATE 11:22 a.m.: Eugene Police Department provided additional details of Austin Maloata’s arrest.

Defensive lineman Austin Maloata has been dismissed from the Oregon football team following his arrest on three charges — DUII, reckless driving and possession of methamphetamine — early Sunday morning, head coach Mark Helfrich confirmed.

Maloata, 19, was booked at 5:09 a.m. following Oregon’s 52-27 loss to Stanford Saturday. Maloata was driving at 1:48 a.m. when he ran a red light at the intersection of East Broadway and Hilyard Street and collided with another vehicle. Officers found methamphetamine in Maloata’s car and determined he was driving under the influence of intoxicants.

Driving under the influence and reckless driving are misdemeanors. Unlawful possession of methamphetamine is a felony.

A junior, Maloata has played in eight games so far this year. He played in Saturday’s game after serving a one-game suspension for Oregon’s game against USC on Nov. 5. He did not travel with the team.

Maloata is the second Oregon football player arrested since Nov. 2, when lineman Eddie Heard was arrested on charges of harassment and assault in the fourth degree.

(Lane County Jail)

(Lane County Jail)

Kenny Jacoby contributed to this report.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan was an associate sports editor during the 2016-17 school year and worked at the Emerald from 2013-17. He covered women's basketball and football.