SportsWomen's Tennis

Ducks dominate in doubles play at Gonzaga Invitational

By remaining undefeated in doubles play after day two of the Gonzaga Invitational, the women’s tennis team has gone 12-0 in doubles in the last two tournaments.

Before their streak of perfect play, pair Marlou Kluiving and Julia Eshet advanced to the quarterfinals in the ITA Northwest Regional Championships. They fell just short of the pair from Cal, Manasse/Starr in their attempt for the semifinals.

On Saturday in Spokane, m Washington, the Ducks went 3-0 in doubles against Portland. Senior Kluiving and freshman Eshet beat the team of Grigoryan/Soares 6-3, while junior Alyssa Tobita and sophomore Shweta Sangwan defeated Dimitrova/Oberg 6-2. The team of junior Nia Rose and sophomore Daniela Nasser bested Lazarevic/Okasati 7-6(3).

The Ducks are also making a name for themselves in singles play, having dropped only one match in their last tournament, and then going 5-1 on Saturday. They are now 22-2 in singles in their last two tournaments.

Rose and Kluiving both won in three sets over Idaho’s Lucia Badillos and Maria Tavares. Sangwan, Eshet and Nasser all won in two sets, beating Ana Batiri, Claire Yang and Katie Day. Only Tobita lost her match, 7-5, 6-2 to Marianna Petrei.

The Ducks have one more day of the Gonzaga Invitational, and will begin singles play a 9:00 a.m. and doubles play at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Follow Alexa Chedid on Twitter @alexachedid18

Alexa Chedid

Alexa Chedid

Alexa is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in journalism and cinema studies. She's from southern California and her passions include traveling, writing, and finding great coffee & teahouses.