SportsWomen's Soccer

Ducks draw with Washington State in overtime

**Correction: A previous version of this article stated Oregon was eliminated from postseason contention, when in fact the Ducks can still clinch a postseason berth with a win over Oregon State in their final game.**

The Oregon women’s soccer team hadn’t had to enter overtime since they last played Hawaii in August.

After playing through two overtime sessions on Sunday afternoon, the Ducks tied with Washington State 1-1 at the Lower Soccer Stadium in Pullman, Washington. The draw pulls the Ducks’ record to 8-9-2, which means they must win their final match against Oregon State to qualify for an NCAA tournament berth.

Goalkeeper Halla Hinriksdottir returned to the fold for Oregon after a collision with an Arizona player took her out of action 10 days ago. Main players such as defenders Caitlyn Wong and Ashlee Schulz were missing from today’s line-up.

Things looked good for Oregon as they drew first blood in the 19th minute of play. Midfielder Baylee Bruner scored her third goal of the season off an assist from midfielder Marissa Everett.

However, Washington State retaliated in the 76th minute with a goal of their own. By the time the whistle blew at 90 minutes, both teams were locked in a stalemate of 1-1, and the match went into two overtime sessions.

Neither side scored during extra time, and the match was declared a draw.

“We showed great team effort and grit today,” Oregon head coach Kat Mertz said in a release. “We were able to create some good goal-scoring opportunities and were able to capitalize on one of them. Players stepped up for injured teammates and played extremely well.”

The Ducks will play their last match of the season against Oregon State on Nov 4, 3 p.m. at Pape Field.

“I am proud of our team and looking forward to coming home for the Civil War and to honor our outstanding senior class,” Mertz said.

Follow Romaine Soh on Twitter @mainetainpls

Romaine Soh

Romaine Soh

Romaine is a senior at the University of Oregon majoring in journalism. A budding track and field nerd, she is actively learning the technicalities of ball sports to compensate for her lack of hand-eye coordination.