News

Director of Testing and Counseling Center fined in relation to alleged 2014 rape case

The alleged rape case concerning Jane Doe and three former University of Oregon basketball players continues to haunt the university: Shelly Kerr, director of the University Testing and Counseling Center, was fined by the Oregon Board of Psychologist Examiners last month.

According to a report, the Board found that Kerr had “acted contrary to the recognized standard of ethics of the psychological profession,” by not identifying and clarifying the conflict of interest that she had when told to turn over the counseling records of Jane Doe to the university’s General Counsel.

Kerr also “failed to take reasonable precautions to protect the Student’s (Jane Doe) confidential mental health information” by not conferring with outside counsel before releasing the records to the university’s General Counsel.

In addition to a fine of $2,500, Kerr is also required to complete a six-hour course on professional ethics.

If Kerr chooses to appeal, the university will support her, UO spokesperson Tobin Klinger told AP.

Below is a timeline of the original 2014 case, with updated information from a release concerning Kerr’s OBPE hearing.

Max Thornberry

Max Thornberry

Senior News Editor. Baseball Fan. Martial Artist. Lover of books and words. Follow him on Twitter @Max_Thornberry

Submit tips to [email protected]