AnnouncementsNews

College Hill Reservoir to close through 4th of July

If you are in Eugene for the Independence Day festivities, you will have to find somewhere besides the old College Hill reservoir to enjoy your evening.

The reservoir, located at Lawrence Street and West 25th Avenue will close this Friday and will remain locked until 8 a.m. on Tuesday, July 5th. The closure is an attempt by the Eugene Water and Electric Board to protect the drinking water below.

Fireworks on top of the reservoir have caused problems in the past, according to an announcement sent out by EWEB. The rubber coating that was installed in 2008 has suffered wear and tear from fireworks in recent years.

Following a series of projects that used more than $1 million to improve the reservoir that was built in 1939, access gates have been put in place, as well as bans on dogs and fireworks, to protect the site.

For those that have legal fireworks and are looking for a place to enjoy them, the blacktop of the old reservoir, located to the north of the College Hill reservoir, will be available.

Max Thornberry

Max Thornberry

Senior News Editor. Baseball Fan. Martial Artist. Lover of books and words. Follow him on Twitter @Max_Thornberry

Submit tips to [email protected]