Senate confirms six ASUO summer senators
The 2016-2017 ASUO Senate had its first meeting in the newly opened portion of the EMU building.
In April 2016, the I’m with UO slate, under the leadership of senator Quinn Haaga, swept the student government election and won every open seat. Today, it takes over the office that oversees a $16 million budget.
Here’s what you missed:
ASUO Senate appoints a senate seat and a Programs Finance Committee at-large seat.
- Ednaly Jimenez-Gomez, who served senate seat 1 when former president Kevin Dobyns stepped down due to graduation, has been confirmed to take over senate seat 3.
- Jimenez-Gomez will serve on Programs Finance Committee, which was internal VP Zach Lusby’s seat this past year. Senate confirmed Jimenez-Gomez unanimously.
- Yuri D’Agosto, who was running with One Oregon this year, is also confirmed to a Programs Finance Committee at-large seat. Senate also confirmed D’Agosto unanimously.
Senate passed 15 special requests and a return of $8,000 to surplus.
- Ahiru Daiko, UO’s Taiko ensemble, requested $2,150 to buy shirts, stickers and business cards due to its number of growing members.
- American Marketing Association requested to transfer $500 to host its annual AMA End of Year Social on May 19.
- Interfraternity Council requested to transfer $3,018 to host its annual Greek Excellence Awards on June 6.
- ASUO Office requested to transfer $7,069 to pay for its pro staff and to replace IT equipment.
- LGBTQA3 requested to transfer $1,256 for office supplies and for food for the Queer Prom on May 27.
- Men’s Center requested $3,100 from surplus and $93 within its budget to balance the deficit for the Graduate Teaching Fellow director’s pay.
- Veterans and Family Student Association requested to transfer $685 within its budget for Veterans Awareness Week.
- Safe Ride requested to return $8,000 to surplus.
- Designated Driver Shuttle requested to transfer $8,000 within its budget for maintenance.
- Vietnamese Students Association requested to transfer $1,144.
- Divisi requested to transfer $190.
Senate bends rules to confirm six members for summer senate.
- The process to confirm summer senate requires two weeks, according to the Green Tape Notebook. But since this is the last meeting of the year, senate passed to condense the process to one week and confirmed six senators to hold meetings during the summer.
- The six senators include: Hao Tan, Madison Moskowitz, Hassan Almumen, Blair Barnes, Ednaly Jimenez-Gomez and Awab Al-Rawe. Senator Barnes will be the senate president.
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.