AnnouncementsNews

UO Senate to discuss mandatory reporting policy Wednesday

Wednesday’s UO Senate agenda includes a policy proposal that would expand definitions related to sexual assault and mandatory reporting by university employees.

Under the current policy, all “Responsible Employees who receive Credible Evidence of Prohibited Discrimination, Harassment, or Sexual Harassment” are required to share that information with either the Title IX Coordinator, the Office of Crisis Intervention and Sexual Violence Support Services or the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity.

Potential revisions to the current policy broaden the definitions of “dating violence,” “student employees” and “campus community members.”

Some changes such as including “causing, or attempting to cause” abuse as well as “placing another in fear of imminent sexual or physical abuse,” would help responsible employees put “dating violence” into perspective.

Other expansions are more significant, such as expanding the range of who falls under the “responsible employee” banner.

Currently, student employees “whose employment is contingent on their student status,” are not required by the university to file formal reports in response to credible evidence brought to them about sexual violence/harassment.

The definition of “student employee” would be revised, should the proposal be ratified by the Senate. In addition to Residential Advisors and GTFs, “student employees who supervise two or more employees” will fall into the “responsible employee” category.

The changes also include a broadening of the “campus community members” label to anyone that is “participating in a university-sponsored program or activity,” as well as any “person living on university-owned property.”

The UO Senate meeting will take place at 3:00 p.m. in Straub 156 on Wednesday, May 18, and is open to the public.

Max Thornberry

Max Thornberry

Senior News Editor. Baseball Fan. Martial Artist. Lover of books and words. Follow him on Twitter @Max_Thornberry

Submit tips to [email protected]