CrimeNews

Former professor sues University of Oregon for wrongful termination

Former University of Oregon professor, CHiXapkaid Donald Michael Pavel filed a lawsuit against the university on May 10, for alleged wrongful termination last year.

Pavel, a former education professor at UO, was terminated in January 2015 after being linked to a sexual harassment report.

In the same lawsuit, Pavel is also suing the following for terminating his employment:

Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Doug Blandy; Director of the Office of Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity, Penelope Daugherty; UO professor, Brian Klopotek; Assistant Vice President and Advisor, Jason Younker; Director of the Northwest Indian Language Institute, Janne Underriner; Department Head for the Educational Studies Department, Juliet Baxter; Dean of the College of Education, Randy Kamphaus and University Senior Employee Relations Coordinator for Human Resources, Annie Bentz.

It states that the university violated Pavel’s constitutional right to procedural due process – Pavel was never given opportunity to learn of the specific allegations against him or to present a rebuttal to those allegations.

It also states that the university did not have any solid evidence to base its decision on. Instead it based it off “vague charges.”

Pavel also claims that the university violated his first amendment retaliation, equal protection, racial and gender discrimination by “intentionally treating [Pavel] differently from others similar [situations].”

The amount that Pavel is asking for has not been specified.

Tran Nguyen

Tran Nguyen

Crime and Court senior reporter, specializing in sorting through non-interactive spreadsheet. Formerly reporting on ASUO, Housing and Construction.

Send tips to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter @tranngngn. K thanks bye.