HealthNews

Outbreak of Norovirus on campus

There is an outbreak of the Norovirus on the University of Oregon campus, according to an email sent out by Vice President of Student Life Robin Holmes. There have been 34 reports of gastroenteritis symptoms, commonly called the stomach flu, from UO students at the University Health Center and the Lane County Public Health Department, UO spokesman Tobin Klinger said.

The Health Center is not sure where the outbreak originated, but they are assessing that information as students come in. The university is taking extra cleaning precautions in high traffic areas.

In early April, Oregon State University had an outbreak of Norovirus that affected an estimated 75 students, the Corvallis Gazette-Times reported. UO has not had an outbreak in at least two years.

The virus is very contagious. Symptoms include stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea, but it is not life threatening, the Health Center said.

If you experience any symptoms contact the Health Center at 541-346-2770.

Noah McGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah is the 2016-17 Senior News Editor at the Emerald. His earliest journalistic influences were Tom Wolfe, Eric Schlosser and Batman. He loves '70s comics, '80s action movies and '90s music.