GolfSports

Oregon selected for Tucson Regional as No. 4 seed

Oregon men’s golf is headed for Arizona to compete in the Tucson Regional.

The tournament, hosted by the University of Arizona, will take place May 16-18 at the Gallery Golf Club.

The Ducks knew they would receive an invitation to regionals, but were unsure of their placement. As it turned out, the Oregon drew the regional closest to Eugene.

Oregon must finish in the top five of the 14-team field in order to advance to the NCAA Championships, which they will be hosting at the Eugene Country Club May 27-June 1. Last season, Oregon snuck into NCAA Championships with a fifth-place finish at the Noblesville, Indiana Regional.

In head coach Casey Martin’s 10-year tenure, the Ducks have won one regional in 2010 and finished second in three other seasons.

Other teams in the field of include No. 1 Stanford, No. 12 Wake Forest, No. 13 California and No. 25 North Carolina. Stanford won the Pac-12 Championships in Salt Lake City last week, and also have the Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the year in junior Maverick McNealy.

Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner is a senior journalism major at the University of Oregon. He covers football and men's golf for the Emerald. Email Will at [email protected] with tips, questions and comments.