Softball shuts out Arizona in three straight games, Dillon Mitchell shines in spring game
– No. 5 Oregon softball swept No. 17 Arizona at home this weekend in three straight shutout performances. Cheridan Hawkins recorded her 1,000th-career strikeout Friday and Nikki Udria hit a pair of homers Saturday. The Ducks outscored Arizona 17-0 for the series.
– Oregon wide receiver Dillon Mitchell caught two touchdowns in Saturday’s spring game, leading Mighty Oregon over the Webfoots 21-20. Teammates praised Mitchell throughout spring practices, and the freshman proved those compliments to be true. Although Mitchell caught two touchdowns from Dakota Prukop, neither he, Travis Jonsen or Terry Wilson stood out from the other quarterbacks in the scrimmage.
– Oregon baseball pitcher Cole Irvin threw his third career shutout in an 8-0 victory over Washington State Saturday. Irvin struck out 13 batters over nine complete innings.
– Oregon beach volleyball ended its season Saturday at the Pac-12 Championships following a 3-2 loss to No. 5-seeded Arizona State. The Ducks finished the season 2-10 in their third year as a team.
– Oregon men’s golf finished in a tie for sixth Sunday at the Pac-12 Championships in Salt Lake City. Aaron Wise finished ninth individually, shooting a combined one-under for the tournament. The Ducks now await their NCAA regional placement, which will go from May 16-18.
– Former Oregon basketball forward Elgin Cook has been invited to the NBA Draft Combine, according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman. Dillon Brooks is currently listed as an alternate for the combine.
Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner