NewsPolitics

Reactions: Bernie Sanders visits campus, Glenwood while campaigning in Eugene area

Bernie Sanders ordered an egg scramble and potatoes with a side of University of Oregon student hysteria for breakfast at Glenwood this morning. Supporters cheered and took pictures, pushing and shoving to get close and shake his hand.

Police cars and Sanders’ bus blocked off East 13th Avenue and Alder Street while the senator ate. As he walked out of the restaurant he was met with roars of applause from the crowd of at least one hundred students and supporters. People climbed trees and trampled bushes trying to get a good view.

“Hey you on the roof, get off!” a security guard yelled at a student on the awning outside US Bank.

Sanders was in town for a rally at noon in Springfield’s Island Park.

The waiting staff at Glenwood rushed to get the restaurant back in order after the senator left. They said his appearance was a complete surprise.

After finishing the rally, Sanders made another pitstop on campus to shake hands with students. Most photos show him near Chapman Hall and the Memorial Quad.

Sanders isn’t the only presidential candidate in Oregon today. Ohio Governor John Kasich will be at two town halls in Medford and Portland, according to CNN. 

Here are some social media reactions to Bernie’s unexpected detours.

Noah McGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah is the 2016-17 Senior News Editor at the Emerald. His earliest journalistic influences were Tom Wolfe, Eric Schlosser and Batman. He loves '70s comics, '80s action movies and '90s music.