NewsPolitics

Bernie Sanders to hold rally in Springfield tomorrow

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will hold a rally tomorrow morning in Springfield, his campaign announced today.

The senator from Vermont’s event will begin at 10 a.m. in Island Park. Admission is free and open to the public, and bags will not be allowed at the event.

His campaign said Sanders will discuss, “a wide range of issues, including getting big money out of politics, his plan to make public colleges and universities tuition-free, combating climate change and ensuring universal health care.”

The event comes roughly three weeks ahead of the Oregon presidential primary on May 17. With 14 states yet to participate in the primary, Sanders currently trails Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton 1632-1299, and 2151-1338 when factoring in superdelegates, in the national delegate count. Either candidate must collect 2,382 delegates to receive the nomination. Oregon will award 61 delegates and 13 superdelegates.

Sanders, who has held two events in Portland since announcing his candidacy, is making his first campaign visit to the Eugene/ Springfield area.

Jennifer Fleck

Jennifer Fleck

Jennifer is a head correspondent for the Emerald focusing on politics and research. She also specializes in coverage of marijuana legalization in Oregon.