GolfSports

Ducks falter in late rounds, finish eighth in Pac-12 Championships

Heading into the third and final round of the Pac-12 Championships, the Ducks found themselves in perfect striking distance. They were at 1-under par (575) and sitting in sixth out of 11th place.

The final round, however, was one to forget. The Ducks shot 15-over par (303) and dropped two spots to finish in eighth place.

Setting the pace for Oregon were two veterans. Senior Caroline Inglis and junior Cathleen Santoso both finished tied for 12th after shooting 1-under par (215) for the tournament.

Inlgis was the individual champion last season but was unable to defend her title. Linnea Strom of Arizona State took home those honors this year with an 11-under par (205) effort.

Oregon was the Pac-12 runner-up last season.

The Ducks started out hot in the first round. They were tied for fourth with Arizona and Colorado after shooting a 2-under par (286). Santoso led the Ducks in the first round with a 2-under par (70). This was the Ducks’ best round.

Round two saw Oregon slip in the standings despite staying relatively consistent in the scorebook. It shot 1-over par (289) but fell to sixth place overall. The Ducks rode the hot hands of Inglis and Santoso, who recorded 2-under (70) and 1-under (71) par, respectively.

The final round was not kind to Oregon. It was paired with fifth place Colorado in the round and struggled all day. As a team, it shot 15-over par (303) and fell two more spots to finish in eighth out of the 11-team field.

The lone bright spots for Oregon were once again Inglis and Santoso. They shot 1-over (73) and 2-over (74) for the round.

Freshman Kathleen Scavo continued her hot play of late. She recorded the third-best score for the Ducks and tied for 27th overall with a 4-over par (220) for the tournament.

Oregon will now wait to hear where it will be seeded in the NCAA Regionals. The NCAA selection show will be held on Monday, May 25 at 3 p.m.

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter @JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.