Men's TennisSports

Oregon defeats Washington 4-2 in final match of regular season

The No. 41 Oregon Ducks defeated the No. 35 Washington Huskies 4-2 in their final match of the regular season. The road victory gives the Ducks an overall record of 17-6 and a conference record of 3-4.

The Ducks won the doubles point for the 15th straight match. On court No. 2, Daan Maasland and Simon Stevens defeated Enzo Summer and Kawika Lam 6-4. Oregon clinched the doubles point when No. 30-ranked Jayson Amos and Armando Soemarno defeated Piers Foley and Wendell Watanabe 7-5 on court No. 1.

In singles, Oregon took the first match when No. 124 Jayson Amos handled Jake Douglas with 6-3, 6-2 wins. Washington countered, as No. 104 Mitch Stewart defeated Daan Maasland in straight sets on court No. 1.

Thomas Laurent stretched Oregon’s lead to 3-1 with his 2-0 victory over Gal Hakak. On court No. 5, Washington put one more point on the board when Sebastian Hawken fought for a tough 2-1 victory over Oregon’s Cormac Clissold.

With Oregon needing one more match victory to win, freshman Ethan Young-Smith battled through two tough sets to win the final set 7-6. His victory on court No. 6 clinched the Ducks the win over the Huskies.

Oregon finishes fifth in Pac-12 play.

The Ducks’ next match is Wednesday in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament.

Jack Butler

Jack Butler

I am the sports editor for the Daily Emerald. I cover football and basketball. Email me at [email protected]