Club SportsSports

Oregon club tennis heads to national championship

After placing a close second at the regional competition in Yakima, Washington, the Oregon club tennis team is one of 64 teams to qualify for the USTA Tennis On Campus National Championship in Cary, North Carolina.

This year’s qualifying team is made up of only one senior, president Emily Plutsky. She is excited about the opportunity to go to her fourth National Championships and happy to be able to share the experience with some of her newer teammates.

“What’s really cool this year is that the team that is going to North Carolina for nationals. Only three of us out of the seven have actually been before,” Plutsky said. “So I’m really looking forward to showing these guys what a cool experience it is and what it’s like.”

The first day of the tournament is pool play. Oregon will have four teams in its pool and then will be placed in a bracket based on the results.

Oregon’s pool is comprised of some very stiff competition, which includes last year’s national champions, the UC Berkeley Golden Bears.

“They’re unreal, amazing,” Plutsky said. “We’re just going in with a positive attitude and we’ll have a great time.”

The team flies out from Portland on Wednesday morning and then competes in the tournament from the 14th-16th.

Follow Kylee O’Connor on Twitter @KyleeTheMightee

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee enjoys running and eating, in no particular order.
She can be reached via email at [email protected]