AdministrationNews

UO Board of Trustees committee will discuss plan to recruit more minority faculty

The Academic and Student Affairs Committee of the University of Oregon Board of Trustees will hold a meeting to address a continuing lack of diversity among UO faculty.

Lack of diversity among UO faculty has become a more frequently referenced issue on campus, one often brought to the forefront of conversation throughout this year by student-led protests.

In November 2015, UO’s Black Student Task Force made a list of demands, one of which included hiring more faculty of color.

The meeting, according to the release sent out by Board of Trustees Secretary Angela Wilhelms, is also connected to Oregon legislature meant to bolster diversity in teaching in a similar way.

Bill 3375 signed into law on May 28, 2015, as a renaming and renewal of the 1991 Minority Teachers Act. That law originally set a goal for Oregon to have hired a number of minority teachers that is proportional to the number of minority students within 10 years. The state as a whole continues to fall short of that goal. In 2011, the discrepancy between students and teachers was 27.26 percent.

The meeting will take place over the phone on Wednesday April 13, 2016 at 2:30 p.m. HEDCO Education Building, Room 240 will have a phone on which members of the public can listen in.

Lauren Garetto

Lauren Garetto