Men's TennisSports

Jayson Amos on the verge of history following Oregon’s loss to No. 19 California

Oregon suffered a 4-1 loss to the California Bears at the Hellman Tennis Complex in Berkeley, California.

The loss was the Ducks’ second in as many days. They are now near the bottom of the Pac-12 standings with just one match remaining before Pac-12 play.

Sophomore Jayson Amos captured Oregon’s lone victory and is now on the verge of breaking an Oregon record that has stood since 2005. Amos won his 24th match of the season with a 7-3, 6-4 win over No. 76 Oskar Wilkberg at the No. 4 spot. He tied his own record for the second-most wins in a season in school history.

The record is held by Sven Swinnen, who went 27-9 during the 2005 season.

Three Oregon players suffered losses in their matches. Ethan Young-Smith’s loss to Mads Engsted on court No. 6 clinched the win for the Bears.

The Ducks are now 2-4 in Pac-12 play and have been defeated by all four of the California schools in the conference.

Oregon will face Washington in Seattle on April 16th for their final regular season match. Four days later they will travel to Ojai, California for the Pac-12 championship tournament.

Jarrid Denney

Jarrid Denney

Jarrid Denney is an associate sports editor and senior reporter at the Daily Emerald. He primarily covers the Oregon football and baseball beats. Follow along for Twitter updates @jarrid_denney.