SportsWomen's Tennis

Oregon falls in final conference match of the season

Oregon women’s tennis left the the team’s chances for a win in its last Pac-12 match of the season on Nia Rose’s shoulders Sunday.

In a tie match, the sophomore’s set was the deciding factor for the Ducks against Utah. And in the third set tiebreaker, Rose narrowly fell and Oregon lost the match, 4-3.

“It was great to see Nia in that situation again,” head coach Alison Silverio said, excited by the opportunity for Rose to play in the same setting as last Friday. “It just, unfortunately, didn’t go her way.”

The Ducks record  is now 11-9 (3-7 Pac-12.) Oregon has just two regular season matches remaining before the postseason begins.

The Ducks did their best to battle back after forfeits put them behind early.

The first forfeit was in doubles, and the Ducks needed to take both doubles victories to secure the first point.

Shweta Sangwan and Marlou Kluiving did their part for doubles, winning their match 6-3. But Alyssa Tobita and Rose couldn’t keep hold of an early 5-3 lead and lost the match 7-5.

The forfeit story remained in singles, and Oregon slipped another point to Utah when they were unable to produce a healthy player for No.6.

Utah held the 2-0 lead entering singles play, meaning just two singles victories would secure the match-win for the Utes. But, Oregon made that feat difficult.

By the middle of the first set, the Ducks maintained the lead on all five courts. And by the end of set one, Oregon earned victories on four of those courts.

It was Kluiving who completed her match first, winning with a clean sweep to put Oregon on the board 1-2.

The Utes took one more singles victory before Oregon shot back with two consecutive wins. Sangwan and Tobita won to level the score at three, leaving the deciding match to Rose.

Rose ultimately lost 7-3 in the final set after a winning the first.

“That execution wasn’t quite there today,” Silverio said. “But at some point, she’s going to turn the corner and it’s going to go her way.”

To finish the season, the Ducks will head back to Long Beach, CA for matches against Long Beach State and Loyola Marymount next weekend.

The Pac-12 tournament begins the following Wednesday, April 20 in Ojai,CA.

Follow Madison Layton on Twitter @MadisonLayton01

Madison Layton

Madison Layton