SportsWomen's Tennis

Oregon narrowly falls to Colorado

Oregon women’s tennis put up its best showing of the past two weeks on Friday against Colorado, but it wasn’t enough.

After losing one match in singles and forfeiting another, the Ducks made clean sweeps on three courts to tie the score. That tie advanced Oregon to a tiebreaker where it fell 3-4 to the Buffs.

“It was a great battle,” head coach Alison Silverio said. “Colorado competed all the way until the end.”

Oregon, now 11-8, 3-6 Pac-12, has just three more matches of regular season play left, including one conference match.

Friday’s defeat began when Oregon was forced to forfeit one doubles court after the suspension of three players and injury of another left it shorthanded. With just two doubles teams still in competition, the forfeit meant that Oregon had to win on both doubles courts to earn the opening point.

Whiles the team of Shweta Sangwan and Alyssa Tobita was successful, Nia Rose and Marlou Kluiving were not. Oregon lost the doubles point and the first match of singles to give Colorado the 3-0 advantage.

The Ducks made their mark on the match, striking back with three consecutive wins to tie the score.

With just Rose’s singles match still in session, it was truly a fight to the finish. Whoever won on No.1 ultimately decided the match.

After falling in the first set, Rose took the second 6-3 to force a tie-breaker. Though Rose led her No.119 opponent a few times in that third set, she couldn’t finish and ultimately lost 7-6 (4), 3-6, 7-6 (5).

“I think for Nia, the biggest thing that she is going to be able to learn from this match is…when she’s up and she’s got opportunities to close it out, that’s just where she’s got to step up,” Silverio said.

The loss was Oregon’s fifth consecutive defeat. Its chance to snap that losing streak will come Sunday when it takes on No.59 Utah at home.

“We just want to see it as another opportunity for us to get better,” Silverio said.

Follow Madison Layton on Twitter @MadisonLayton01

Madison Layton

Madison Layton