Men's TennisSports

Doubles match cancelled in 4-2 loss to Stanford

After three consecutive victories, No. 36 Oregon fell on the road to No. 42 Stanford 4-2. The loss drops the Ducks to 2-3 in conference and 16-5 overall.

The doubles match was cancelled due to poor weather, which was unfortunate event for the Ducks, given that they had won 14 straight doubles matches.

The cancelled doubles required a team to win four out of six singles matches to grab the overall victory.

Stanford took the early 2-0 lead with victories on courts No. 5 and 6. On court No. 6, Oregon’s Ethan Young-Smith fell 2-0 to Stanford’s Maciek Romanowicz, while Oregon’s Cormac Clissold lost 2-0 to Sameer Kumar on court No. 5.

The Ducks responded to tie the match at 2-2. Court No. 3 saw Thomas Laurent defeat Michael Genender 2-0. On court No. 4, Oregon’s Jayson Amos lost the first set 7-6, but fought back to win two consecutive sets 6-4, defeating No. 113 ranked Nolan Paige.

From there, the match was settled on courts No. 1 and 2. Stanford’s No. 8 ranked Tom Fawcett defeated No. 120 Daan Maasland 2-1. Sets one and two were split, with Fawcett outlasting Maasland to take the final set 7-5.

With the match point on the line, No. 69 David Wilczynski defeated Oregon’s Simon Stevens 2-1. The first two sets were split with 7-6 victories. The final set was controlled by Wilczynski, who won the match for Stanford with a 6-3 victory in the third set.

Oregon looks to rebound on Saturday at 1 p.m., when it takes on No. 19 California.

Follow Jack Butler on twitter @Butler917

Jack Butler

Jack Butler

I am the sports editor for the Daily Emerald. I cover football and basketball. Email me at [email protected]