GolfSports

Cathleen Santoso medals, Ducks finish second at Silverado Showdown

Junior Cathleen Santoso had a career weekend and helped lead them to a second place finish at the Silverado Showdown in Napa, California. Santoso shot a 5-under par (211) for the tournament — the best mark among individuals — to medal for the second time in her career.

Santoso and the Ducks had a great opening round. Oregon sat tied for third with LSU and Louisville, while Santoso was on top of the leader board after the first day. She shot a 5-under par (67) and was ahead of second place and fellow Duck Kelsey Ulep by one stroke.

Ulep also had a great tournament. She finished in sixth place with a 1-over par (217) when all was said and done.

Round two saw the Ducks rise the ranks and make a move at eventual champion Stanford. The Ducks shot a 4-over par (292) and solidified themselves as the second place team in the tourney. The Cardinal were on fire for the first two rounds of the tourney — they shot a combined 5-under par combined over the first two days — but cooled off in the final round.

Second place Oregon trailed Stanford by ten strokes after the second round came to a close. Santoso played a solid round, shooting a 1-over par (73), but slipped to second place behind Stanford’s Lauren Kim.

The third and final round didn’t see much movement in the team standing as Stanford went on to claim the Silverado title, shooting a 1-over par (865) for the tournament. They topped second place Oregon by 13 strokes.

On the individual side, Santoso shot a 1-under par (71) for the round and reclaimed the top spot from Stanford’s Kim.

Santoso was not the only solid performer from Oregon. Ulep finished in sixth and senior Caroline Inglis finished tied for 10th with a 3-over par (219) performance. The Ducks were the only team with three top 10 finishers. Their second place finish is their fifth top five finish of the spring.

Oregon has twelve days off as to gear-up for the Pac-12 Championships, which start April 18 at the Ruby Hill Golf Club in Pleasanton, California.

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter @JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.