GolfSports

Next generation of leadership emerging for Ducks

Caroline Inglis is having a career year for the Ducks. She is the 16th ranked women’s amateur golfer in the world and her 73.19 stroke average is best on the team. She is without a doubt the leader on this team, and her teammates can attest to that.

“On the golf course she is just as much of a leader as she is off the golf course,” junior Cathleen Santoso said.

Head coach Ria Scott echoes this sentiment, calling Inglis “the best senior leader I’ve ever had in my time coaching.”

But Inglis is approaching the end of her college career and soon the title of team captain will fall onto someone else’s shoulders.

Two likely candidates are Santoso and fellow junior Marcella Pranovia. Both are just behind Inglis in terms of stroke average. Pranovia is second with a 74.57 and Santoso third at 75.06. More importantly, both have noticed tremendous personal growth in one another since they joined the team.

“Freshman year, we were there just kind of learning all the basics and all that, but she’s really stepped up,” Pranovia said of Santoso.

The two came to Oregon as part of the same recruiting class. They have played together since freshman year and watched each other develop into the players they are today. Santoso especially noticed Pranovia’s growth since they were both freshmen.

“My freshman year, she [Pranovia] was a clueless little one, but she’s definitely learned the rules, and learned what it means to be a leader and an upperclassman,” Santoso said. “Two or three years difference in age may not seem like a lot, but after going through it yourself, you can look back and see the transformation. … I think she’s definitely grown a lot.”

A frontrunner for team captain next season has already been established. Pranovia said she and Santoso have discussed who will take over Inglis’ role next year, and Santoso seems to be the perfect fit.

“[Santoso] wants to try and be our team captain next year, which is great,” Pranovia said. “She knows every single one of us and is very open-minded, and I think that’s a characteristic that a leader needs.”

Pranovia is not upset that Santoso wants that role; she’s thrilled.

“I’m really excited for her,” Pranovia said. “She’s grown so much.”

Santoso is prepared to take on that responsibility. It’s something she’s been working toward since her first day on campus. Soon, it could be a reality.

“I’m more than ready to take on that role and I’m really excited to do so,” Santoso said. “Caroline has taught me a lot, and I’ve spoken to the coaches a lot, too, so I think it’s going to be a great senior year for us.”

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter @JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.