Men's TennisSports

Oregon celebrates seniors with sweep of Utah

Oregon men’s tennis concluded its home schedule Sunday with a 4-0 sweep of the Utah Utes. This was the final home match for Oregon’s three seniors: Daan Maasland, Brent Chin and Bartosz Sawicki.

Maasland, who came to Oregon from the Netherlands, is ranked No. 67 in the ITA. During his four years at Oregon he had a record 76 career singles wins and 68 career doubles wins, third-most in Oregon history.

“The experience was great,” Maasland said. “It went by really fast, but it feels like a long time ago that I came here. I grew up here, with the tennis, but also with outside of the court.”

The win brings Oregon’s record to 15-4, 1-2 Pac-12.

Oregon secured the doubles point with a 6-2 win from Jayson Amos and Armando Soemarno on No. 1 and a 6-4 victory on No. 3 from Cormac Clissold and Thomas Laurent. This was the 13th straight doubles point for the Ducks.

Amos won the first singles point 6-2, 6-3 against Egbert Weverink on court No. 4, giving Oregon a 2-0 lead. Oregon’s domination continued as Stevens defeated David Micevski 6-1, 7-6 (4) to capture Oregon’s third point on No. 2. The Ducks finally clinched the match when Ethan Young-Smith beat Jamey Swiggart 7-5, 6-3 on No. 6.

Next up, Oregon will play Pacific in Stockton, California on Wednesday.

Follow Kylee O’Connor on Twitter @kyleethemightee

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee enjoys running and eating, in no particular order.
She can be reached via email at [email protected]