SportsWomen's Tennis

Roster change leads Oregon to tumble against No. 18 Stanford

Oregon women’s tennis’s struggles continued Saturday with a 7-0 thrashing by No. 18 Stanford. The team has been stuck in a rut ever since three of its nine players — Michelle Aubuchon, Christi Woodson and No. 70 singles player Kennan Johnson — were dismissed from the program due to a violation of team rules, the Oregon athletic department confirmed Saturday.

Saturday’s match was especially lopsided because the Ducks were forced to forfeit on two courts in singles and competed with just two teams in doubles. With an injured Alyssa Tobita unable to compete and Johnson, Woodson and Aubuchon missing from the line-up, the Ducks’ efforts were futile.

Oregon’s fifth straight loss and second straight sweep brought its once-impressive record to 11-7, 3-5 Pac-12.

Oregon’s unsteady footing is due, in part, to a difficult Pac-12 conference, which features nine ITA-ranked teams. But the absence of three players from the roster has made competition even more difficult.

Stanford took a 3-0 lead after it won the doubles point and collected points from Oregon’s two forfeitures in singles. The Cardinal then defeated walk-on Paloma Gomez to clinch the match, but play continued.

Freshman Shweta Sangwan followed closely behind Gomez with a 6-1, 6-1 loss.

Marlou Kluiving took her match to a tie-breaker against the No. 118 singles player. She ultimately lost 10-3, but the push added some momentum to the last match in session.

Taking a note from Kluiving, Nia Rose also forced a third set against the No. 49 singles player from Stanford. She and her opponent remained close throughout the tie-breaker, matching the score at 3 and 6. But Stanford made the final push over Rose, winning 10-7 in the third set.

With that, Stanford handed the Ducks their second 7-0 sweep in two days.

After a tough couple weekends on the road, the Ducks are set to return home against Colorado and Utah next weekend.

Follow Madison Layton on Twitter @MadisonLayton01

Madison Layton

Madison Layton