SportsWomen's Tennis

Oregon struggles against undefeated Cal, loses, 7-0

After three straight Pac-12 losses, Oregon women’s tennis had the daunting task of facing top ranked California, who has been unstoppable so far this season.

That trend continued. The Ducks were unable to compete with California, losing 7-0. The loss brings the Duck’s record to 11-6, 3-4 Pac-12.

Cal clinched the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Oregon’s Paloma Gomez and Daniela Nasser dropped a 6-0 decision to begin the day. The cold streak continued when Marlou Kluiving and Shweta Sangwan fell to Klara Fabikova and Olivia Hauger 6-3 on court No. 2.

The Ducks hit yet another bump in the road when sophomore Alyssa Tobita was injured as singles play began. It subsequently forced her to retire the match and added to Cal’s lead, 2-0.

Gomez fell to Karla Popovic 6-3, 6-0, making the score 3-0. Shortly after, Cal clinched the match on court five when freshman Daniela Nasser fell 6-0, 6-2 to Hauger.

After the match was decided, No. 93 Denise Starr defeated Kluiving 6-4, 6-4. On court No. 2, No. 11 Fabikova defeated Sangwan, 6-0, 5-7, 1-0 (5). Nia Rose fell to No. 64 Lynn Chi, 6-2, 7-6 (3) on court No. 3.

The Ducks will remain in the Bay Area to play No. 18 Stanford on Saturday.

Follow Kylee O’Connor on Twitter @kyleethemightee

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee O'Connor

Kylee enjoys running and eating, in no particular order.
She can be reached via email at [email protected]