HousingNews

New online platform, uCribs grows relationships with local property management

As spring term starts the search for off campus housing begins. Students will find themselves shuffling for days on Craigslist, Facebook and other sites trying to find the perfect apartment, sometimes with limited options.

“I used Craigslist as a last resort to find an apartment to sublease after my term abroad,” senior Lexi Sloan said. “I would check every day for a few days until I came across the apartment that I ended up subleasing.”

With an array of different housing search engines it can be a process for students in search of a new home. uCribs is one of the many starting points students can look into.

Currently uCribs is working towards building more and more relationships with landlords and property managers. Recently University House Arena District has joined their property listing. So far the site has over 100 properties at the UO.

uCribs, is a  platform that allows students to narrow down exactly what they are looking for with browsable listings that include: floor plans, pictures, amenities and fees. The site provides features such as: a sublet feature, sharing leasing documents between parents and lessee and a walk score map. The walk score map is designed to demonstrate the closest amenities around, whether the area is car dependent and closest public transportation stations.

“uCribs was created to simplify the housing search for college students,” uCribs Vice president of Strategic Partnerships Colin Kish said. “We really strive towards our user experience by providing detailed pictures, specific details, amenities, all the information students are really interested in.

“I created an account with them about a month ago,” leasing consultant at the University House Arena District Joni Carlsen said. “Their website is really clean and it provides all the necessary information. The process was super easy.”

No matter what housing search engine students decide to use there are a variety of them. Whether that’s scrolling through Facebook posts, or using uCribs platform. The annual spring Housing Fair sponsored by the UO Office of the Dean of Students also provides many off campus options by bringing together property managers, landlords, and various community resources to students.

“Facebook would still be my go-to, but I would use uCribs before Craigslist. This year I found my apartment at the housing fair,” Sloan said.

Yuliana Barrales

Yuliana Barrales