Uncategorized

Ducks capitalize on strong final round, take seventh in San Diego

The Oregon women’s golf team wrapped up their fourth tournament of the Spring, finishing seventh out of 16 teams in the San Diego State March Mayhem Invitational at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe, California.

After splitting on Day 1, the Ducks would lose on Day 2 but would bounce back to win the seventh place game during the third and final day.

Round 1 of the tournament style invitational saw eighth seeded Oregon matched up with ninth seeded Colorado. The Buffs jumped out to a one point lead but the Ducks would respond with three straight points. Colorado would gain one more point but the match was already decided. Oregon took the round 3-2.

Round 2 had the Ducks paired up against top seeded and number one team in the nation USC. The Trojans jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead but the Ducks would claw back to tie it up at 2-2. The final round between Oregon’s Caroline Inglis and USC’s Victoria Morgan would come down to the wire and would eventually end in a draw. With the scored tied at 2.5 apiece, USC was awarded the win since they had won nine holes to Oregon’s four.

Day 2 and round 3 saw the Ducks matched up with fifth seed Arizona State in the fifth place bracket. The sharpness and precision that Oregon played with in the previous round was nowhere to be found in this round as they struggled mightily all day, eventually succumbing to the Sun Devils 4-1. Cathleen Santoso was the lone bright spot for Oregon as she claimed the only point over the round for the Ducks.

The final day and round of the tournament had Oregon playing in the seventh place match against eleventh seed Kansas. The Ducks jumped out to a quick lead thanks to junior Marcella Pranovia and would not look back. Fellow junior Cathleen Santoso would rally from four strokes down to clinch the second point for Oregon and freshman Kathleen Scavo would claim the third as Oregon was up a commanding 3-0. The final point of the match was won by Inglis. The Ducks would go on to claim victory over Kansas 4-1 to seal their seventh place finish.

Oregon now has two weeks off before they head to the Silverado Golf Club in Napa, California for the Silverado Showdown.

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter
@JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.