ASUONews

ASUO releases three upcoming ballot measures

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the goals of the ballot measure put forth by OSPIRG. The article stated that, if passed, the measure would allow student groups to request more funding by gathering signatures from 10 percent of the student body. The post has since been updated with the correct information.

ASUO Constitution Court has approved three ballot measures for the upcoming election. Students can vote on the measures on April 4 through DuckWeb. If you are not well-versed in ASUO language, the ballot measures could be hard to comprehend. We went through the jargon, so you don’t have to. Here’s the breakdown: 

Making ASUO services universally accessible

This measure will require ASUO to implement “Universal Design,” which will provide proper accommodations either upon request or as a regular practice for meetings and events “for students with a broad range of abilities, disabilities, ages, reading levels, learning styles, native languages, cultures [and] religions” without increasing the incidental fee.

The measure was proposed by ASUO Director of Staff Casey Edwards in coordination with the AccessABILITY Student Union. The measure will only impact students and student leaders and has no enforceable impact on professional staff, faculty or other University of Oregon employees.

A vote ‘yes’ would make ASUO agree to a non-binding requirement to make the organization more accessible to all students regardless of ability and other characteristics such as “learning styles, cultures [and] religions.”

A vote ‘no’ would allow the ASUO to operate without implementing universal design principles.

Funding initiatives of the student body

This measure would amend the ASUO constitution to allow student groups to choose to have their budgets determined by a ballot vote during regular elections. They would collect signatures to get their budgets on the ballot and need a 50 percent majority vote for approval. The current system only allows budgets to be determined by way of finance committees and the senate.

The University of Oregon OSPIRG chapter is behind the measure.

ASUO Senate can still modify the funding to prevent the incidental fee from exceeding the budget growth.

A vote ‘yes’ would allow student groups to collect signatures from students to determine their budgets without going through the ASUO finance committee process.

A vote ‘no’ would leave the current standard in place.

Updating deadlines of Committee Appointments

This ballot measure will require the ASUO president to appoint committee members by Oct. 1. Current ASUO bylaws give the president multiple deadlines to appoint members on ASUO Student Planning and Construction Committee, ASUO Diversity Plan Committee and Elections Board Chair position.

A vote ‘yes’ would set a deadline of Oct. 1 for the ASUO president to appoint the Election Board Chair, members of ASUO Student Planning and Construction Committee and ASUO Diversity Plan Committee.

A vote ‘no’ would leave multiple deadlines for committee appointments.

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad is an Opinion Columnist for the Emerald focusing on politics, social policy and economics. Prior to joining the Opinion Desk, Trinidad was a reporter and covered student groups and ASUO for the Emerald from 2015-2016 and contributed to Flux Magazine in 2017.

Trinidad has worked in political campaigns, non-profit political advocacy, and a legislative and communication role for a U.S. senator.

Trinidad is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in political science, economics, and journalism.