AdministrationNews

GTFs rally for “a fair day’s pay without delay”

A year after rallying for a living wage, the University of Oregon Graduate Teaching Fellows are still on average a couple hundred dollars short of making ends meet.

“We were guaranteed a living wage last year, but that hasn’t happened,” Political Science GTF Malori Musselman said.

About 30 members of the UO Graduate Teaching Fellows Federation gathered in front of Johnson Hall at noon rallying for a living wage.

“The rally is for a living wage, and that is important to us as most of our money comes from teaching,” Political Science GTF Nicole Francisco said.

During the rally, speakers and signs said UO President Michael Schill makes $800,000, making him the ninth highest paid president across more than 200 universities. The GTFs pointed out what Schill was making as a contrast to what they are not.

“We teach one-third of undergraduate classes, so this affects the quality of education,” Francisco said.

Among the undergraduates watching the rally, Freshman Lilly Fabian said GTFs should be paid a living wage.

“I came here for education, not for anything else, so I believe they should be getting more,” Fabian said.

The bargaining meeting with the administration to discuss liveable wages was held in the Knight Library right after the rally.

Olivia Decklar

Olivia Decklar

Olivia Decklar is a videographer for the Daily Emerald. You can catch her listening to Hamilton the Musical at full volume any day of the week.