GolfSports

Ducks drop a spot in final round, finish fourth at Gator Invite

The Oregon women’s golf team shot a 37-over par (877) and finished fourth out of 13 teams at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, Florida this past weekend. It is its third top five finish of the spring season.

For the tournament, the younger Ducks set the pace for the team. Freshman Kathleen Scavo had the team’s best overall performance, finishing tied for 14th overall with a 9-over par (219). She was followed by fellow freshman Petra Salko, who tied for 16th overall with a 10-over par (220).

Senior Caroline Inglis and junior Cathleen Santoso each tied for 21st overall with scores of 12-over par (222), while junior Marcella Pranovia — who shot a team best even par during round two — finished 14-over par (224).

In what has been a common theme all spring, the Ducks saw early success in the first round. As a team, they shot 11-over par (291), which tied them for fourth with Florida State after the round came to a close. Scavo lead the way, shooting a 1-over par (71), followed by Salko and Santoso, who each shot 3-over par (73).

The Ducks improved their position in round two as they shot a 9-over par (289) to jump into third place overall. Pranovia had the best round of golf all weekend for the Ducks, a perfect par (70) during the second frame. Salko trailed close behind with a 2-over (72).

The final round saw the Ducks slip away from their 10-over average. Over the last 18 holes, the Ducks shot 17-over par (297) and fell one spot to finish fourth overall. Santoso led Oregon with a 3-over par (73).

The Ducks finished behind Ohio State, Florida State, and champion Florida, who also hosted the tournament. Florida’s 1-under par in the second round proved to be enough to pull away from the pack. They finished the tournament with a team score of 22-over par (862), nine shots ahead of the second place team Florida State.

The Ducks now have two weeks off to prepare for the San Diego State March Mayhem Invitational at the Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe, California.

Follow Gus Morris on Twitter @JustGusMorris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris

Gus Morris covers Oregon football, basketball and women's golf for the Emerald. Caffeine addict. Bay Area sports. I know words, I have the best words.